Tuesday 23 August 2011

Reflection on 1st Class - 22 August 2011

When I walked into the class for the first session, I was asking myself what will I be learning today? Will the topic be fun and interesting? I have always thought that Mathematics especially algebra to be one of the hardest subject that I have to take during my school years. I would always have difficulty in understanding the formulas in algebra. I really hated the topic on algebra. The teachers that I had was not motivating or encouraging. They would just go on and on and would leave the weaker students behind without helping.


The first session was an AWESOME experience for me. It was a fun and challenging experience. We were given four problems to solve and were encouraged to talk and discuss about ways to come out with solution to solve the problem. It provided me with opportunities to discuss with my team about ways to solve the problems. My team was trying our very best to solve the problems and never thought of giving up. For every problem that we had to solve, the class come out with a few methods. I was learning from the other about how to solve the problems.


  I really like the the 'Poker Card' activity. I was really engrossed with my partner to solve the 'MAGIC'. We were trying out different ways of the solving the problem and in the end we manage to SOLVE it. I even showed and shared the activity with my colleague today and they are still trying to solve the problem. 




Something new that I have learn from the class session was about the prerequisite to counting. Children need to be able to first classify,  second to rote count,  third to count with correspondence and  lastly must be able to appreciate that the last number counted in a group is the final answer.



I am looking forward to the class tonight! Hope to learn new and interesting things. See you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment